((sing it with me now)) “Going to the chapel and we’re gonna get marrrrried!”
Cute song, but long gone are the days of just heading over to the chapel in a simple dress and sealing it with a kiss.
Weddings nowadays are quite the affair! And, to throw this affair, you have to do mass amounts of planning (and spend mass amounts of money). Brides, grooms and their parents can easily get lost in the planning, the invoices and the emotion that goes into planning the biggest day of one’s life.
So, this begs the question. How can you plan to your heart’s desire (and make your mom/ grandma/ great-aunt happy) while also ensuring that you’ll have a kick-ass wedding?
Well… you’re in luck because I’m letting you in on my top 5 tips that (if followed) will guarantee you kick-ass results!
1) Hire the best vendors you can afford. I know. Wedding aren’t cheap. But, as the old adage goes…you get what you pay for! At the top of your vendor list should be a top-notch wedding planner who you trust, whose work you adore and who understands the vision for your wedding.
The expertise of a skilled wedding planner is invaluable and investing in one can actually save you money (and headaches) in the long run. A good wedding planner can help you find the perfect venue (they know people), get you hooked up with vendors who match your overall style (and budget) and they will make sure your wedding day runs as smooth as possible (so you can actually enjoy yourself).
2) Don’t sweat the small stuff. Things will go wrong on your wedding day. Why? Because this is real life and nothing ever goes “perfectly”. (However, if you are taking my advice and embrace Tip #1… your wedding planner will make sure there are minimal bumps in the road on your big day)
When something or someone, veers off course on your wedding day, that’s ok! Take a deep breath and keep things in perspective. Your wedding is about you marrying the love of your life. Don’t lose sight of that. Besides, most things that go wrong at weddings (and I’ve seen a lot) are minuscule details that only you notice.
In ten years, when you reflect on your wedding day, you won’t remember that the flowers weren’t the perfect shade of pink. But, you will remember (as will everyone else) if you threw an epic tantrum over said flowers. So, don’t sweat the small stuff. Kapish?
3) Add your personal touch. Everyone loves a beautiful wedding, but if you really want people to remember your wedding as “kick-ass” let your personalities shine through! Show your guests who you are as a couple. What you love. What makes you… YOU. Be creative and share it in a way your guests will never forget!
4) Don’t be afraid to break “tradition.” Make your wedding your own by doing what makes the most sense to you as a couple. Not feeling a church venue but have a soft spot for the nature preserve by your home? Get married there. Hate sitting through bouquet tosses? Don’t do it. Want to keep things simple and opt out of a traditional bridal party? No one says you have to have bridesmaids and groomsmen.
It’s your wedding. Do what feels right to you and your partner.
5) Don’t forget…your wedding is a celebration. Also known as: A PARTY! People want to eat good food, dance to great music, throw back some drinks and watch you celebrate your love! Don’t underestimate the power of the essentials. Your wedding is providing the platform in which people will congregate, break bread and reconnect with each other. And that, in and of itself, is awesome!
So, make sure the essentials are in place and, when your big day comes, throw back one of those specialty cocktails you paid for, get out on the dance floor and enjoy your kick-ass wedding with your family and friends!